Sunday, August 23, 2009

One of the Greatest Things I Learned from Mom

I just wanted to respond to Shelly's post back in May. I learned a lot of things from mom, but I think one thing that's helping me the most right now is the fact that she will always be there. Growing up, mom taught me this through all of the little everyday things she did for me. I remember one time in particular, when I was probably about seven or eight, I got upset at something and went in my room and cried. After a couple of minutes I became very confused. Where was mom? She always came to comfort me when I was crying. I cried louder. Eventually mom did come into the room and told me she knew what had happened and thought I needed a few minutes to cry it out before coming to talk to me about it.

From that time on I knew that mom would always be there for me. I could count on her. And now I'm learning this lesson all over again. Going into my last year at college I'm facing a lot of change and uncertainty in my future. It's been hard for me lately, knowing that I'm going to have to face it all and not be able to talk to mom about it. But mom has been teaching me this subtle lesson all over again. She will always be there for me. I'm the one who has to adjust my perspective, and accept that even if I can't see her, she is near me, even if I can't hear her advice in words, she is giving it. In fact, the greatest lesson mom ever taught me is one that she is still teaching me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heather,
Thank you so much for sharing that comment!
love ya,
Shelly